September 2018 - April 2019
During my research, I set out to address the following questions:
1. What effect(s) does being a non-native English speaker have on their success in finding remote work?
2. What specific area(s) (grammar, spelling, layout, etc.) of online English communication do they have the most trouble in?
3. What are the main scenarios (proposal, introduction, etc.) in online business communication that they’ve had trouble completing?
4. What solutions do they currently utilize to ensure that their messages are correct before being sent off?
The name “Aida” was chosen very deliberately.
1) In the copywriting world, the acronym “AIDA” is a widely known formula and stands for attention, interest, desire, and action. Highly relevant to writing a business email, and an approach I always use whenever writing copy of any sort.
2) The name incorporates the word “aid”. This solution is helping users, after all.
3) The name also incorporates the word “AI”. This tool would eventually utilize AI frameworks (such as the open-source TensorFlow or ApacheSpark, the same technology behind Grammarly).
4) The name sounds and is pronounced the same as the name “Ada”, a girl’s name that’s friendly and pleasant - and in a similar vein as Cortana or Siri.
5) It is also named and pronounced after Ada Lovelace, an English mathematician born in 1815 who introduced many computer concepts and is widely considered as the first computer programmer.
After developing my first and initial prototype, I opted to focus more on the UI components. I wanted to create elements that were consistent, repeatable, and scalable. As I continue working on Aida, I will be building a more formal and structured design system.
Over the course of this semester, I was able to show and test my prototype to relevant users at different stages. Below is a small sample of the participants who helped influenced the direction of Aida through feedback and testing.
Aida would initially be launched and marketed as a startup. I designed a landing page to garner interest via email capture, and to communicate a few of Aida’s features and benefits. Coded landing page: https://brendanho.com/aida/